Having the time of their lives

Camp Fire USA Eastern Massachusetts Council
Programs >> Zoo Camp >> FAQ

Check out our camp video below to help answer some of your questions about ZooCamp!

Tell me more about the Camp Director?

Our Camp Director, Amy May, is the full time Program Director for Camp Fire. During the summer her duties are camp related only. She has a Masters Degree in Environmental Studies, over twenty years experience as an educator and has mentored other educators in various settings. She grew up going to camp and has worked at camps in a variety of roles including as director at Camp Ponkawissett and Ponkiwanee.

How do you hire and screen staff?
ZooCamp staff are at least 19 years of age or older. All staff members fill out a thorough application, undergo an interview process, and three references are checked. All staff undergo a criminal background and sexual offender check as well. We look for people with camp experience or experience with children, people who are responsible and mature, good listeners, capable of learning, cheerful, outgoing, and with a good sense of humor. Staff participate in an intensive week-long training process, and in-service training happens throughout the summer.

Do you have any programs for children over the age of 11?

Yes we now offer Jr. ZooKeeper for youth ages 12-13 who have been traditionally too old to return to ZooCamp.The two week Jr. ZooKeeper session  and will specialize in offering campers an advanced curricula, expanded opportunities with animals and animal care staff as well as all the fun, exciting activities that campers have always had at camp. The program is small, so spaces will fill up quickly.

Is transportation available?
We're sorry, but there is no transportation to ZooCamp during most sessions. We will offer transportation during session 3, July 15-26 week. Bus transportation is from Hanover, Hingham/Rockland, Quincy and Weymouth. The bus fee is $30. Click here for the schedule with location and times.

I work from 8am until 4:30 pm, do you offer extended day programs?
We do! Morning extended day is 7 am-9 am and afternoon extended day is 3 pm- 6 pm. Youth participate in various games, arts & crafts, and self choice activities. Activities choices are driven by campers' requests and creativity.

Do you offer camperships (financial aid)?
Yes. See the dates and rates page for more information.

Can my child attend with a friend?
Yes. Camper groups are divided by age. If your child's friend or relative is the same age, we will do our best to place them together if you so request.

Is there an incentive for introducing a friend to ZooCamp?
Yes, if your child introduces a "new camper" to ZooCamp, and they attend, your child is eligible to receive either a Savings Bond or a $25 gift card to Target. To take part in this incentive program, the returning camper must submit a letter to the CFUSA office stating the referring campers name, address, and SS# and the incentive you choose, along with the new camper's name. If the new camper attended camp, your child will receive the incentive they chose.

Can my child attend multiple sessions?
ZooCamp is designed on a two-week curriculum that is repeated every other session. Campers may only sign up for 2 sessions (for example, Session 2-July 2-6 and Session 3-July 9-20.)

What about lunches and snacks?
Campers are to bring a nourishing lunch, snack, and water every day. It is important that our campers have the nourishment and water assisting them in their active and hot day. It is the first step in keeping your child safe at camp. Please note refrigeration is not available, so food items that spoil easily should not be included in your child's lunch.

Does ZooCamp have swimming facilities?
Due to the program of the Franklin Park Zoo and Stone Zoo, swimming is not available. Our day is full with activities at the zoo and would not allow for the extra activity as well. On those special hot days, we keep cool by participating in "wet" games such as sponge tag and "duck, duck, splash!" We also have access to air conditioned areas of the zoo exhibits.

Is Zoo Camp licensed from the city and/or state?
Yes, in Massachusetts, recreational camps for children must be inspected and licensed by the local board of heath (City of Boston Board of Health). In order to be licensed, the camp must meet all regulatory standards established by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH).

If you would like a copy of the state regulations of additional information concerning recreational camps for children, visit the Mass.gov Health and Human Services Camps ― Recreational website.